The Jazz Band is a regularly performing ensemble providing additional opportunities for individual musical growth. Jazz Band has also participated in the same festivals and workshops as VR and Trojan Band. They have performed for passengers onboard the Royal Caribbean ships and have received high praises and ratings at festivals. They have also recorded a short CD in the past.
The Trojan plays a key role in promoting Valley Christian spirit. The Trojan Band performs at sports events, rallies, as well as their own concerts. The band has performed for the passengers onboard Royal Caribbean Cruise ships. They have also participated in festivals/workshops at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, Biola University, Azusa Pacific University, and Free Chapel O.C. where the band has received high ratings. Trojan Band is a regularly performing ensemble providing additional opportunities for individual musical advancement and student leadership. It becomes and extended family in which we share amazing experiences and memories. Students are challenged on a daily basis and in our annual Music Tour Trip. Participation in marching and pep bands is required during the first semester. Membership is gained by previous instrumental music experience or by audition. Full year – 1 credit.
Academic Goals: Students will learn and apply musical knowledge in the Trojan Band based on the Arizona Academic Standards in music.
- Perform with expression and technical accuracy a large varied ensemble repertoire with the level of difficulty 4 on a scale of 1-6.
- Sight-read accurately and expressively music with level of difficulty 3.
- Understand the basic concepts of music theory.
- Classify music by genre or style and by historical period or culture.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of musical terminology.
- Identify specific criteria for making informed, critical evaluations of the quality and effectiveness of performances; apply these criteria to personal participation in music.
Performance Goals: In preparation and performances, we wish to reflect Christ in all we do. Every performance is an opportunity to have a significant impact on the world around us through our actions and the ministry of music. The performances include:
- Fall performances will include supporting the football team and entertaining our fans at half-time in marching band performances.
- Winter performances will include a Christmas Concert and time for individual development and achievement including State Solo and Ensemble Festival and our own Chamber Music Recital.
- Spring performances will include a large group festival evaluation , a Spring Concert including full orchestra and middle school guests, and traditional graduation music.
Valley Rhythmics is a “STOMP”-style blend of percussion and movement. Student musicians improve their musical reading ability and rhythmic intuition through the study of complex rhythms via non-traditional instruments. Valley Rhythmics brings to life a true ”garbage can” band. This group has performed for the passengers onboard Royal Caribbean Cruise ships. They have also participated in festivals/workshops at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, Biola University, Azusa Pacific University, as well as the Operation Christmas Child kick off Ceremony, Gilbert High School, Blue Ridge High School and have received Gold ratings from various festivals.
Course Description: This course will improve musicians’ musical reading ability and rhythmic intuition through the study of complex rhythms via non-traditional instruments. It also provides performance opportunities that aid in individual and ensemble advancement. This course is open to students with director approval and either enrollment in a VCHS music ensemble or by audition. Valley Rhythmics brings to life a true ”garbage can” band. Full year – 1 credit.
Course Objectives: Students will…
- Study and understand complex rhythms and any articulations
- Work on and increase creativity
- Learn the concept of team building and teamwork
- Create their own song/piece and notate it using Finale software
- Perform on a monthly basis
- Plan and develop each performance’s set-up and choreography